Travels of Paul TourNEW Testament Studies! Greece, Turkey, Isle of Patmos and Ancient Christianity 14 day tour - August 16, 2024
This special tour is a wonderful chance to enhance your studies of the New Testament with Dr. S. Michael Wilcox. If you are spending time studying the New Testament in your church or on your own this year – next year would be the perfect time to visit many of the sites mentioned in the New Testament. The tour also includes early Christian history in the areas you are visiting. Below is a small list of some of the highlights you will experience on Dr. S. Michael Wilcox’s Travel of Paul and the Apostles Tour:
- Athens: Paul taught on Mars Hill at the base of the Acropolis.
- Corinth: Paul spent over a year in Corinth working, teaching and starting a church.
- Ephesus: Paul and John were involved in creating the church in Ephesus and other churches in the surrounding area.
- The Island of Patmos: From Ephesus, we will travel by private ferry to the Isle of Patmos, Turkey. This is where John wrote the book of Revelations. Patmos is really a Greek island but it is closer to Turkey than to the mainland of Greece.
- Rome: Paul was held in prison near the Forum of Rome, and it was here that Paul died a martyr for his faith.
- There are three other wonderful places that we will visit that are filled with early Christian history. All fall into our favorite places to visit in the world.
- Istanbul: Many of the religious sites in Istanbul have both ancient Christian history and ancient Muslim history.
- Cappadocia: Underground cities where up to 20,000 early Christians hid from persecution. The caves cities have up to 13 levels. We will not try to visit all of the many miles of caves or try to visit 13 levels deep, but we will visit enough that this will become a huge highlight day.
- Meteora Monasteries: Our train ride and visit to Meteora’s Ancient Monasteries, built on top of sheer rock pinnacles, will be another huge highlight day.
Package Price Includes:
- Greece, Turkey and Italy.
- 2 Nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel in Istanbul.
- 2 Nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel in Cappadocia.
- 3 Nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel in Ephesus Area.
- 2 Nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Athens.
- 3 Nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Rome.
- 4 Airfares:
- Flight between Istanbul & Cappadocia.
- Flight between Cappadocia and Ephesus.
- Flight between Ephesus and Athens.
- Flight between Athens and Rome.
- Private full-day ferry: Ephesus to the Island of Patmos.
- Highspeed train between Athens and Meteora Monasteries.
- Transfers if flying our group air or arriving at the time of our group air.
- Transfers: Hotels to flights and from flights to hotels.
- Special Guest Educator: Dr. S. Michael Wilcox.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- All buses, Guides and Entrance Fees.
- Does not include international airfare: Home to Istanbul and Rome back to home.
Package Price: $5,195*
*Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfares, visas or tips.
This is a partial list, and subject to change as needed to accomplish everything we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: August 16: Fly to Istanbul
We depart our home and travel to Istanbul.
Day 2: August 17: Istanbul
Upon arrival we will transfer to our wonderful 5 Star-Luxury Hotel.
Day 3: August 18: Istanbul
Many of the religious sites in Istanbul have been occupied by both Muslim and Christian faiths. Istanbul is filled with early Christian history. Our tour today will include the magnificent Hagia Sofia, Hippodrome, and the stadium of ancient Byzantium, where an Egyptian obelisk and bronze sculpture of the entwined serpents from Delphi still survive. We then continue on to the Blue Mosque which owes its name to the exquisite tiles adorning its interior. In the afternoon, we will visit the amazing Topkapi Palace, which from the 15th to the 19th Century was the principal residence of the Ottoman Sultans. Overnight Istanbul.
Day 4: August 19: Istanbul – Cappadocia
We will start the day with a boat ride on the Bosporus, the water that separates Asia from Europe. Istanbul is both in Asia and Europe. We will finish all touring in Istanbul and spend time shopping in the famous Grand Bazaar – a medieval version of a modern shopping mall all under roof. It has existed since the 15th century with roughly 4,000 stores. It is the number one tourist attraction in Istanbul. Late this afternoon we will head to the airport for our flight o Cappadocia. Upon arrival we will transfer to our 5-Star Luxury Hotel.
Day 5: August 20: Cappadocia
Famous for its unique Rock Formations and other worldly landscapes, it is truly a natural wonder. There are around 200 underground cities in Cappadocia. The idea of underground cities was to protect the inhabitants from invasion. It was the principle hiding place for early Christians. One city alone held about 20,000 people and was over 180 feet deep below ground. It is one of the most unique places on earth and will be a huge highlight day.
Day 6: August 21: Cappadocia – Kusadasi
Finish Cappadocia, then take an early afternoon flight to Ephesus. Upon arrival into Izmir airport – we will travel the short distance to Kusadasi to overnight.
Day 7: August 22: Ephesus
Today is another highlight day as we visit Ephesus and the surrounding area. We will start with the house of the Virgin Mary on top of Bulbul Mountain and then proceed to the ancient city of Ephesus where you will explore some of the best-preserved theaters, fountains and buildings found anywhere in the world. Overnight Kusadasi.
Day 8: August 23: Kusadasi – Isle of Patmos
Early this morning we will take our private boat to Patmos in Greece to visit and explore the Island of John the Revelator. We will return this evening back to our hotel in Kusadasi.
Day 9: August 24: Kusadasi – Athens
This morning we will fly from Izmir to Athens, Greece on a short flight. After clearing customs, we will visit the Acropolis and Mars Hill (where Paul taught), along with a city tour of Athens.
Day 10: August 25: Athens – Meteora – Athens
This morning early we will travel by train to Meteora to experience the Meteora Monasteries. Filled with early Christian history, the many ancient monasteries are perched on high cliffs that made them safe from invasions. The only way anyone could reach the monasteries was by baskets lowered from above. Today, there are bridges or stairs built to allow visitors to the monasteries. This is another huge highlight day. It is one our most favorite places on earth. At the end of the day we will take the 4-hour train ride back to Athens and our hotel. Altogether it will be a 14-hour day of beautiful scenery by comfortable train and the exploration of fantastic ancient monasteries.
Day 11: August 26: Athens – Corinth – Rome
This morning we will head to Corinth. Your tour will include a photo stop of the Corinth Canal, Corinth. Later we will return to Athens to catch our early evening short flight to Rome.
Day 12: August 27: Rome
This morning we will visit the magnificent Coliseum and Forum. Today our studies of Paul will continue in the Forum area where he was held prisoner and died. In the afternoon, we will visit the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain, which has been made famous by many movies, including “Three Coins in a Fountain”.
Day 13: August 28: Rome
Today we will visit a separate country, Vatican City. We will visit St. Peter’s Basilica (the largest church in the world), St. Peters Square, the Vatican Museum, and the Sistine Chapel. This afternoon we will visit the stunning Rome Temple complex.
Day 14: August 29: Rome – Home
Today we will catch our flights back to the U.S. and on to our homes.