Travels of Paul Tourwith Oberammergau Passion Play Greece, Turkey, Isle of Patmos and Ancient Christianity 16 day tour - September 6, 2020
Turkey and Greece are considered the second Holy Land. Much of the New Testament involves cities in Turkey and Greece along with the travels of the Apostles. Nearly 2/3 of the New Testament, including all of the letters of Paul, most of the book of Acts and the book of Revelation, is set outside of Israel in either Turkey or Greece.
It is hard to know where to begin, the whole tour is a highlight of highlight tours combined with the study of the travels of Paul and the Apostles.
Here is an overview of what you will see and experience:
- Mars Hill and Athens’ Acropolis: A highlight day will include Mars Hill and the Parthenon on top of the Acropolis overlooking Athens.
- Corinth: Where Paul taught and wrote letters.
- Meteora: Our favorite in all of Greece and a highlight day you will never forget! The name Meteora is Greek for “Suspended in Air”, which perfectly describes the six remarkable Greek Orthodox monasteries spectacularly perched atop rocky pinnacles.
- Thessaloniki: The place of another book in the New Testament by Paul.
- Ephesus: One of the best ruins in the world, that also involves Paul, John and other Apostles.
- Patmos: The Book of Revelation was written on the Island of Patmos. We are going to take a ferry over to Patmos for the day.
- Istanbul: Our favorite city in Europe. You will agree with us after you have experienced it. We are including a boat ride on the Bosporus, the magnificent Hagia Sofia, the Hippodrome and the stadium of ancient Byzantium, and the amazing Topkapi Palace which was the residence for the Ottoman Sultans.
When you arrive into Munich you will be met by Glenn Rawson who will be your educator during the time you are in Turkey and Greece. The Oberammergau Passion Play is a MAJOR part of this package. Dr. S. Michael Wilcox will join you in Munich to help prepare you for your Passion Play experience. After the Passion Play you will travel to Munich to catch your flight to Athens.
Package Price Includes:
- Germany and the Oberammergau Passion Play.
- 2 nights 4 Star Deluxe Hotel in Munich.
- Dr. S. Michael Wilcox – Guest Educator in Munich for the Passion Play.
- 2 nights 4 Star Oberammergau Passion Play Hotel.
- Priority seating in Category 1 for the Passion Play.
- All transfers and buses in Munich and Oberammergau.
- Breakfasts in Munich, Breakfast and Dinner in Oberammergau.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- All tours, entrance fees and guides in Munich and Oberammergau.
- Greece and Turkey
- 2 Nights 5-Star Deluxe Hotel in Athens.
- 2 Nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Meteora.
- 1 Night 5-Star Deluxe Hotel in Thessaloniki.
- 2 Nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel in Ephesus.
- 3 Nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel in Istanbul.
- Private ferry from Ephesus to Patmos.
- All transfers to and from airports and hotels.
- Guest Educator throughout Greece and Turkey: Glenn Rawson.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- All buses, guides, tours, entrance fees throughout the tour.
- “Whisper perfect” headset receivers. You will hear everything even when you step away to take that important picture.
Package Price: $5,395*
*Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare, visas or tips.
ESTIMATED cost of airfares in 2020:
these are estimated only (they could go up or down) they
will not be available to purchase until 10 months before tour.
(round-trip) SLC to Munich - Istanbul to SLC: $1,650
(non-stop) Munich to Athens: $225.
(non-stop) Thessaloniki to Ephesus: $125
(non-stop) Ephesus to Istanbul: $100
This is a partial list, and subject to change as needed to accomplish everything we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: September 6: Fly to Munich
We depart our home and travel to Munich.
Day 2 & 3: September 7 & 8: Munich
Today and tomorrow we will tour Munich and will also have lectures from Dr. S. Michael Wilcox on the Life of Christ and the Passion Play.
Day 4: September 9: Munich – Oberammergau
This morning we will travel into the German Alps and enjoy the beautiful scenery and do some touring before checking into our 4-star deluxe Passion Play hotel.
Day 5: September 10: Oberammergau
This morning we will tour the Oberammergau area. This afternoon will be the first half of the Passion Play. Then there will be a break for dinner, which is included. After, we will return to the second half of the Passion Play. Late this evening you will return back to your hotel.
Day 6: September 11: Munich – Athens
Today we will fly from Munich to Athens, Greece. After clearing customs we will visit the Acropolis and Mars Hill (where Paul taught).
Day 7: September 12: Athens – Corinth
This morning we will head to Corinth. Your tour will include a photo stop of the Corinth Canal, Corinth. Later we will return to Athens to finish touring.
Day 8: September 13: Athens – Meteora
Today we will drive around 4.5 hours to monasteries of Meteora. These monasteries are perched on high cliffs and are accessible by staircases that are cut into the rock formations. They were created to serve monks and nuns in the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Day 9: September 14: Meteora
Today will be an amazing day visiting the monasteries of Meteora.
Day 10: September 15: Meteora – Thessaloniki
This morning we will drive around 3 hours to Thessaloniki. Upon arrival, we will visit this ancient city. Paul came here on his second mission and preached in Thessaloniki’s synagogue, the main one in this area at the time. We will overnight in Thessaloniki.
Day 11: September 16: Thessaloniki
This morning we will finish touring Thessaloniki, then fly from Thessaloniki to Kusadasi.
Day 12: September 17: Kusadasi – Isle of Patmos
Early this morning we will take our private ship to Patmos in Greece to visit and explore the Island of John the Revelator. We will return this evening back to our hotel in Kusadasi.
Day 13: September 18: Ephesus
Today is another highlight day as we visit Ephesus and the surrounding area. We will start with the house of the Virgin Mary on top of Bulbul Mountain and then proceed to the ancient city of Ephesus where you will explore some of the best-preserved theaters, fountains and buildings found anywhere in the world. Late this afternoon we will fly to Istanbul.
Day 14: September 19: Istanbul
Our tour today will include the magnificent Hagia Sofia, Hippodrome and the stadium of ancient Byzantium, where an Egyptian obelisk and bronze sculpture of the entwined serpents from Delphi still survive. We then continue on to the Blue Mosque which owes its name to the exquisite tiles adorning its interior. In the afternoon, we will visit the amazing Topkapi Palace, which from the 15th to the 19th Century was the principal residence of the Ottoman Sultans. Overnight Istanbul.
Day 15: September 20: Istanbul
We will start the day with a boat ride on the Bosporus, the water that separates Asia from Europe. We will be using a private ship so we can sail it all the way to the Black Sea. Istanbul is both in Asia and Europe. We overnight Istanbul.
Day 16: September 21: Fly Home
We will head to the airport this morning for our flight back to the US and home.