Romantic Danube River CruiseBerlin to Budapest 16 day cruise/tour - August 9, 2024
Europe’s Most Popular River Cruise – Combined with a Phenomenal Land Tour
The Romantic Danube is the most popular cruise itinerary in all of Europe! Our Romantic Danube combined with our specially designed Land Tour – is the best tour combination of a tour and cruise in all of Europe!!! It includes so many great cities and places to visit:
- 16 Day Romantic Danube Cruise and Tour visits 5 Countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungry. The cruise is combined with a fantastic tour of Berlin, stunning Dresden, ancient Prague, historical Nuremburg, the walled city of Rothenberg, Neuschwanstein Castle, Munich and Budapest. Important Note regarding AmaWaterways Charter Pricing: By chartering over 50% of the boat, we receive special Discount Charter Pricing. We do not discount the ship pricing – but we are able to apply our ship Charter Savings of $1,000 PER PERSON off of our total Package Price that INCLUDES the Ship and Land Tour. When you combine an AmaWaterways ship with a Fun For Less Tours Land Tour, you are able to save $1,000 PER PERSON because of our Charter Pricing. .
Package Price Includes:
16-Day Romantic Danube PACKAGE PRICE INCLUDES 8 Day 7 Night Romantic Danube Cruise that visits 4 Countries: Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary – combined with a fantastic tour of Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Nuremberg, the walled city of Rothenberg ob der Tabor, Neuschwanstein Castle, Oberammergau and Munich.
Our Total Package includes both the AmaWaterways Luxury Cruise and our Fun For Less Tours Land Tour – Here is what is INCULDED in our Total Package:
- AmaWaterways Luxury 8-Day 7-Night Cruise between Velshofen (near Munich) and Budapest, Hungry.
- 4,298 Cat D Cabin with two large porthole windows.
- $200 in ship taxes and port charges
- All Shore Excursions are included
- All ship port taxes and fees.
- Special Guest Educator: Dr Michael Wilcox.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals on-board the ship every day.
- Free internet and free movies.
- Unlimited bottled water.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to French Balcony, Double Balcony, or Suite.
- Use of quality headset receivers.
- Our Special Land Package in Germany and the Czech Republic.
- 1-Night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Belin
- 2-Nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Prague
- 1 Night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Nuremburg
- 2 Nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- 1 Night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Oberammergau
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Prague Castle
- Boat Ride in Prague
- Normandy Landing Beaches
- Buses, guides, entrance fees and transfers in Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Nuremburg, Rothenberg, Oberammergau & Munich.
- The Louvre, Palace Versailles and the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- Guest Educator: Diane Prince.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Headset receives
Total Package Price $7,195
Charter Savings: ($1,000)
Total Package Price $6,195*
Package Price: $6,195 Total of both Packages*
**Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare or tips.
Below are the prices for upgrading to balcony and suite cabins. With our combination of an AmaWaterways river cruise with our Fun For Less Tours Land Package, you are saving $1,000 Per Person off of whatever cabin category you chose. Pictures of the different balcony cabins and an example of the layout of an AmaWaterways river cruise ship can be found below. The prices below are the prices per person to upgrade from a D Cabin to Balcony Cabins.
- Cat D Large Porthole Cabins 170 sq. ft.: Included in Price
- Upgrade to a Cat CA French Balcony with sliding glass door: $1,000
- Upgrade to a Cat BB Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $1,600
- Upgrade to a Cat BA Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $1,800
- Upgrade to a Cat AB Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $2,000
- Upgrade to a Cat AA Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $2,200
- Upgrade to Large Suite with Double Balcony both French & Outside: $3,500
This is a partial list and subject to change as needed to accomplish as much as we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: August 9: Fly to Berlin
Today we will fly from our home to Berlin, Germany.
Day 2: August 10: Berlin
Upon arrival, we will do a city tour of Berlin, visiting Brandenburg gate, see some remaining parts of the Berlin Wall along with a city tour before arriving at our hotel for the night.
Day 3: August 11: Dresden – Prague
This morning we will drive to one of the most stunningly beautiful cities in Europe – Dresden. Nicknamed the Florence on the Elbe, Dresden is a vibrant riverfront city filled with Baroque and Rococo architecture. A stroll through the Old Town takes you back to Dresden’s opulent past, with its grand palaces and cathedrals. After our tour, we will continue on to Prague, where we will overnight.
Day 4: August 12: Prague
Today will be a highlight day as we visit our second favorite city in Europe – Prague. We will explore the castle area, take a cruise on the Moldau River, and explore the old town. You will also have free time to explore the ancient streets on your own. Overnight Prague.
Day 5: August 13: Prague – Nuremberg
This morning we will drive through the beautiful countryside on our way to Nuremberg. We will spend the afternoon visiting the historical sites of Hitler and the Third Reich. Including the history behind the Nuremberg Palace of Justice, the Documentation Center, Nazi Pary Rally Grounds, and the Zeppelinfeld. We will overnight in Nuremberg.
Day 6: August 14: Nuremburg – Rothenburg ob der Tauber
This morning we will visit the old town of Nuremburg. Explore its wonderful medieval old buildings and streets before heading up the hill to the Castle that overlooks the old city. You will also have some free time to enjoy more of the old town. This afternoon we will drive to the quaint walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, where we will spend two nights.
Day 7: August 15: Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Germany’s best-preserved medieval walled city. It is impressive with its fortified fortress walls and impressive gates, along with most of the buildings inside the walls dating back 700 or more years. We will have a short orientation tour before you are free to spend a full day enjoying, exploring, and eating in quaint sidewalk cafes along with relaxing. The owners of Fun For Less Tours have stayed there many times, never tiring of this unique, wonderful, ancient, medieval walled city.
Day 8: August 16: Neuschwanstein Castle – Oberammergau
This morning we will travel along the Romantic Road in German into the German Alps. Later today, we plan, if possible, to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, which was the inspiration for Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty Castle.” Later this afternoon, we will travel to the picturesque town of Oberammergau, home to the Passion Play that happens every 10 years. Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber, this will be another huge highlight as we stay in the Quant ancient village for the night.
Day 9: August 17: Oberammergau – Munich – Vilshofen
This morning we will drive to Munich, where we will enjoy a 2-hour tour of the old city and its Marienplatz square and its unique Rathaus-Glockenspiel clock. At around 11 am and noon – the clock chimes, and 32 life-sized figures move reenacting two ancient stories. This afternoon we transfer to your 5-star AmaWaterways Ship. Tomorrow morning, we will set sail on the Danube for Budapest.
Important information: Amawaterways includes premium shore excursions at no additional cost. In many of the ports of call, the ship may offer different shore excursions, often including a bicycle tour. Our owners have selected what they felt to be the best shore excursion for each port. After you arrive at the ship, if you decide that you would like to make a change to a different tour, you can make that change onboard. Please note that these shore excursions we recommend in the day-to-day itinerary below could be different from what the ship offers in 2022. This is the best of what they are currently offering.
Day 10: August 18: Passau
This morning you will have additional free time in Vilshofen. The cruise will sail to Passau during lunch. Passau is a beautiful town in Lower Bavaria. It is known as the city of three rivers because the Danube is joined by the Inn River from the south and the Ilz River from the north. This afternoon you will enjoy a walking tour of Passau along with free time to explore more on your own.
Day 11: August 19: Linz
This morning, the ship tour shore excursion takes you to the Austrian Alps and the lake district on their way to Salzburg. Usually, on the way, they stop at the church where Maria was married in the Sound of Music. After the tour of Salzburg, they return to your ship.
Day 12: Aug 20: Weissenkirchen – Melk
The morning is spent sailing through one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube – the Wachau region. This afternoon we will travel by bus to the charming Durnstein “Pearl of the Wachau.” After our guided walking tour of Durnstein, we will head to Melk Abby, one of the most famous and visited cultural sights in Austria, which is sure to be a big highlight of your Danube Cruise.
Day 13: Aug 21: Vienna
Vienna is a truly elegant and romantic city. We will do a city tour that will allow you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Vienna. If AmaWaterways offers Strauss & Mozart Concerts in the evening, it is not included in the ship’s or our package. It is an additional cost. Fun For Less owners went when it was offered to them, and they enjoyed it. If they are offering it you will be able to sign up for this when you are on the ship.
Day 14: Aug 22: Bratislava
Enjoy Bratislava, Slovakia, through an Old Town walking tour. During free time you can take the easy hike up to the castle overlooking the town with great views of the city and river. We did not find the castle worth going into; it is much like any other building, not what you would think the inside of the castle should look like.
Day 15: Aug 23: Budapest
This morning we will tour Budapest, where we visit Buda Hills and St. Mathias Church, and the Fishermen’s Bastions. Continuing onto the elegant part of Pest, we stop at Hero’s square. Later we will return to our ship.
Day 16: Aug 24: Fly home
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful AmaWaterways ship and travel to the airport for your flight back to the US and home. You will arrive home on the same day.