Romantic Danube River CruiseBerlin to Budapest 17 day cruise/tour - July 20, 2023
Europe’s Most Popular River Cruise – Combined with a Phenomenal Land Tour
The Romantic Danube is the most popular cruise itinerary in all of Europe! In 2022 we chartered 12 ships on the Romantic Danube compared to 5 charters on the Rhine. The Romantic Danube more than doubled our Rhine Passengers. Our Romantic Danube combined with our specially designed Land Tour – is the best tour combination of a tour and cruise in all of Europe!!! It includes so many great cities and places to visit:
- Berlin: Checkpoint Charlie & cold war history.
- Dresden: One of the most stunningly beautiful cities in the world
- Prague, Czech Republic: Has over 1,000 years of history. It competes as one of the top cities in Europe to visit. The massive Prague Castle, along with Prague’s many unique bridges over the Vitava River and its old town that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site will be a huge highlight.
- Nuremberg: Wonderful Castle and one of the best-preserved ancient old town.
- Rothenberg ob de Tabor: One of the oldest and best-preserved medieval walled cities in Europe. We spend two nights in this romantic ancient walled city. It will be a highlight of highlights.
- Neuschwanstein Castle: Fairytale castle was used as an example by Disney for “Sleeping Beauty” Castle.
- Oberammergau: One of the best-preserved ancient villages in the world with its beautiful picturesque houses.
- Munich, Germany: Munich, Germany: The old town with its impressive Marienplatz square, has been the center of Munich since the 12th century. It is the Bavarian Capital, home to centuries-old buildings and history that involves Mad King Ludwig and his family.
- Salzburg, Austria: A beautiful picturesque city with its massive Hohensalzburg Fortress high above the rooftops of the historic district. It is the biggest fully preserved castle in Central Europe. Add the “Sound of Music”, Wolfgang Mozart, along with the UNESCO World Heritage Old Town and you have a city that needs to be at the top of your bucket list.
- Vienna, Austria: It’s artistic and intellectual legacy was shaped by residents including Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud.
- Bratislava, Slovakia: it is a great stop, in another country – Slovakia
- Budapest, Hungary: Split by the Danube River Buda on one side and Pest on the other, became known as Budapest. Another beautiful city with so much to see and experience. One of the biggest highlights will be viewing the city after dark on the Danube River as the whole city lights up.
Package Price Includes:
17 Day Romantic Danube River Cruise is a Combination of TWO Packages:
The Romantic Danube River Cruise with AmaWaterways (with savings of $1,000 to $1,700 per person) AND our special Land Tour and Hotel Packages in Berlin, Prague, Nuremberg, walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and Oberammergau.
Package #1: AmaWaterways Romantic Danube River Cruise Includes:
- 7 nights sailing on a 5-Star Luxury River Boat from the Vilshofen near Passau on the Danube to Budapest, Hungary.
- Upgraded Cabin Category D: Two Large Port Hole Window Cabin – examples of cabins on pages below.
- All Shore Excursions.
- Special Guest Educator Jeff Lawson.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals onboard the ship every day.
- Free internet and free movies.
- Taxes and Port Charges.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to French Balcony, Double Balcony or Suite.
Ship Package Pricing for Cat D Cabin: $4,198
Our Savings off ship price: ($1,000)
Our Cruise Package Price Cat D Cabin: $3,198
PLUS, Ship Port and Taxes: $200
OUR Total Ship Package Price: $3,398
Package #2: Our Special Land Package in Prague, Salzburg, and Munich:
- 1 night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Berlin, Germany.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Prague, Germany.
- 1 night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Nuremburg, Germany.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel medieval walled city of Rothenberg ob de Tabor.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel medieval village of Oberammergau.
- Buses and transfers in the in Germany, Czech Republic and Romania.
- Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Prague Castle.
- Boat Ride in Prague.
- All Entrance Fees, Tours, Guides and Sightseeing.
- Guest Educator: Jeff Lawson
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Headset receivers.
Land Package Price $2,395
Package Price: $5,793 Total of both Packages*
**Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare or tips.
Our ship chartered savings are HUGE. See below for cabin category pictures.
Balcony upgrade prices will be added to the total of the two packages above.
We have listed first the Cabin upgrade categories – followed by the price for
the Cabin upgrade for our exclusive chartered SAVINGS off of the ship’s pricing:
Category Package Upgrade Price SAVINGS off of Ship Pricing
Cat D Porthole Cabins Included in Package $1,000 per person
Cat C French Balcony $700 per person $1,100 per person
Cat BB Double Balcony $1,100 per person $1,300 per person
Cat BA Double Balcony $1,300 per person $1,300 per person
Cat AB Double Balcony $1,500 per person $1,300 per person
Cat AA Double Balcony $1,700 per person $1,300 per person
Luxury Suite $2,600 per person $1,700 per person
This is a partial list and subject to change as needed to accomplish as much as we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: July 20: Fly to Berlin
Today we will fly from our home to Berlin, Germany.
Day 2: July 21: Berlin
Upon arrival, we will do a city tour of Berlin, visiting Brandenburg gate, see some remaining parts of the Berlin Wall along with a city tour before arriving at our hotel for the night.
Day 3: July 22: Dresden – Prague
This morning we will drive to one of the most stunningly beautiful cities in Europe – Dresden. Nicknamed the Florence on the Elbe, Dresden is a vibrant riverfront city filled with Baroque and Rococo architecture. A stroll through the Old Town takes you back to Dresden’s opulent past, with its grand palaces and cathedrals. After our tour, we will continue on to Prague, where we will overnight.
Day 4: July 23: Prague
Today will be a highlight day as we visit our second favorite city in Europe – Prague. We will explore the castle area, take a cruise on the Moldau River, and explore the old town. You will also have free time to explore the ancient streets on your own. Overnight Prague.
Day 5: July 24: Prague – Nuremberg
This morning we will drive through the beautiful countryside on our way to Nuremberg. We will spend the afternoon visiting the historical sites of Hitler and the Third Reich. Including the history behind the Nuremberg Palace of Justice, the Documentation Center, Nazi Pary Rally Grounds, and the Zeppelinfeld. We will overnight in Nuremberg.
Day 6: July 25: Nuremburg – Rothenburg Ob de Tabor
This morning we will visit the old town of Nuremburg. Explore its wonderful medieval old buildings and streets before heading up the hill to the Castle that overlooks the old city. You will also have some free time to enjoy more of the old town. This afternoon we will drive to the quaint walled city of Rothenburg Ob de Tabor, where we will spend two nights.
Day 7: July 26: Rothenburg Ob de Tabor
Germany’s best-preserved medieval walled city. It is impressive with its fortified fortress walls and impressive gates, along with most of the buildings inside the walls dating back 700 or more years. We will have a short orientation tour before you are free to spend a full day enjoying, exploring, and eating in quaint sidewalk cafes along with relaxing. The owners of Fun For Less Tours have stayed there many times, never tiring of this unique, wonderful, ancient, medieval walled city.
Day 8: July 27: Neuschwanstein Castle – Oberammergau
This morning we will travel along the Romantic Road in German into the German Alps. Later today, we plan, if possible, to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, which was the inspiration for Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty Castle.” Later this afternoon, we will travel to the picturesque town of Oberammergau, home to the Passion Play that happens every 10 years. Like Rothenburg Ob de tabor, this will be another huge highlight as we stay in the Quant ancient village for two nights.
Day 9: July 28: Oberammergau
This morning we will travel the short distance to Linderhof Palace. Mad King Ludwig’s favorite home was the wonderful Linderhof Palace. His picturesque Neuschwanstein Castle wasn’t quite finished when he died. This afternoon will be free to explore the quaint streets and shops in the Oberammergau Village. We will overnight a second night in Oberammergau.
Day 10: July 29: Oberammergau – Munich – Vilshofen
This morning we will drive to Munich, where we will enjoy a 2-hour tour of the old city and its Marienplatz square and its unique Rathaus-Glockenspiel clock. At around 11 am and noon – the clock chimes, and 32 life-sized figures move reenacting two ancient stories. This afternoon we transfer to your 5-star AmaWaterways Ship. Tomorrow morning, we will set sail on the Danube for Budapest.
Important information: Amawaterways includes premium shore excursions at no additional cost. In many of the ports of call, the ship may offer different shore excursions, often including a bicycle tour. Our owners have selected what they felt to be the best shore excursion for each port. After you arrive at the ship, if you decide that you would like to make a change to a different tour, you can make that change onboard. Please note that these shore excursions we recommend in the day-to-day itinerary below could be different from what the ship offers in 2022. This is the best of what they are currently offering.
Day 11: July 30: Passau
This morning you will have additional free time in Vilshofen. The cruise will sail to Passau during lunch. Passau is a beautiful town in Lower Bavaria. It is known as the city of three rivers because the Danube is joined by the Inn River from the south and the Ilz River from the north. This afternoon you will enjoy a walking tour of Passau along with free time to explore more on your own.
Day 12: July 31: Linz
This morning, the ship tour shore excursion takes you to the Austrian Alps and the lake district on their way to Salzburg. Usually, on the way, they stop at the church where Maria was married in the Sound of Music. After the tour of Salzburg, they return to your ship.
Day 13: Aug 1: Weissenkirchen – Melk
The morning is spent sailing through one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube – the Wachau region. This afternoon we will travel by bus to the charming Durnstein “Pearl of the Wachau.” After our guided walking tour of Durnstein, we will head to Melk Abby, one of the most famous and visited cultural sights in Austria, which is sure to be a big highlight of your Danube Cruise.
Day 14: Aug 2: Vienna
Vienna is a truly elegant and romantic city. We will do a city tour that will allow you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Vienna. If AmaWaterways offers Strauss & Mozart Concerts in the evening, it is not included in the ship’s or our package. It is an additional cost. Fun For Less owners went when it was offered to them, and they enjoyed it. If they are offering it you will be able to sign up for this when you are on the ship.
Day 15: Aug 3: Bratislava
Enjoy Bratislava, Slovakia, through an Old Town walking tour. During free time you can take the easy hike up to the castle overlooking the town with great views of the city and river. We did not find the castle worth going into; it is much like any other building, not what you would think the inside of the castle should look like.
Day 16: Aug 4: Budapest
This morning we will tour Budapest, where we visit Buda Hills and St. Mathias Church, and the Fishermen’s Bastions. Continuing onto the elegant part of Pest, we stop at Hero’s square. Later we will return to our ship.
Day 16: Aug 5: Fly home
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful AmaWaterways ship and travel to the airport for your flight back to the US and home. You will arrive home on the same day.