Group 12: Danube River Cruisewith Oberammergau Passion Play Prague to Budapest 16 day cruise/tour - September 24 - October 9, 2020
Europe’s Most Popular River Cruise Itinerary
The romantic Danube! The most popular section of the river is outside of Munich between Passau and Budapest, Hungary. We have chartered 12 sailings along this section of the Danube in 2020, so we could combine this wonderful cruise with the Oberammergau Passion Play. Before boarding our cruise ship outside of Munich, we have added an 8-day land tour that vastly improves your Danube River experience. Our tour starts in Berlin with its fascinating history, we then continue to one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, Dresden. From there we will spend a day exploring one of the most impressive cities in the world – PRAGUE! What a start to a fantastic tour and cruise…and it only gets better! After Prague, we travel to Nuremberg, made famous the World War II trails. Then we drive to the quaint village of Oberammergau to experience the best Passion Play anywhere in the world. This special tour is different than our other Danube Oberammergau because we took out Munich, German and Salzburg, Austria and replaced them with Berlin, Germany, Dresden, Germany and an extra night in Prague. A GREAT trade, because we will visit Salzburg from your cruise ship. So, the only place missed is Munich and we have added so much more.
After the Passion Play in Oberammergau, we will head to Vilshofen, a village on the Danube, where we board our luxury cruise ship. You’re going to love this relaxing cruise that includes fantastic places to see and experience. It is no wonder it is the most popular river cruise in Europe. In addition to enjoying a luxury cruise, luxury cabins and great food; here is a PARTIAL list of what you will see and enjoy on our shore excursions:
- The ancient village of Passau with its 2,000-year-old cobblestone streets.
- The beautiful picturesque Austrian Lake District
- The stunning Benedictine Abby in Melk.
- Vienna- the home of music, romance and impressive palaces.
- Bratislava, Slovakia with its impressive castle.
- Budapest, with its famous Szechenyi Chain Bridge and majestic Castle Hill.
We have Fun For Less staff and educators that will be taking care of you throughout this special tour and cruise. Your special educator, Glenn Rawson will meet you in Berlin and stay with you from start to finish. Glenn will prepare you for Oberammergau’s Passion Play during your time in Prague. When you leave Prague, you will drive directly to Oberammergau to overnight.
Huge Savings Combined with Luxury Cruising and a Great Itinerary
We had several goals when we started negotiating with river cruise lines, in Europe, to take our groups:
- #1: Quality of ship: AmaWaterways has won almost every award as the best cruise line in Europe, even beating out Viking.
- #2: Shore excursions: Shore excursions are included with River Cruising in Europe. AmaWaterays has agreed to allow us to make any changes necessary to their scheduled shore excursions, to ensure our passengers get the best shore excursions possible.
- #3: Lower the pricing: By doing partial or full charters, we were able to save our passengers up to $1,000 PER PERSON! On some sailings, the cruise company offers $250 per person early bird discounts, but NO ONE EVER offers a $600 to $1,000 per person discount! We not only save you money we have improved the shore excursions and added an educator. YES, the cruise line made us an unbelievable deal, AND we are passing the savings on to you!
- Look at OUR special savings over the cruise lines prices for 2020 Cabins.
- Cat D – Two Large Port Hole Windows – 160 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $3,894 MINUS our $600 savings – you pay $3,294.
- Cat C – French Balcony – 170 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $4,494 MINUS our $800 savings – you pay $3,693.
- Average of Cat BB & BA – Double Balcony Mini Suites – 210 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $5,094 MINUS our $1,000 savings – you pay 4,093.
Package Price Includes:
Our package price is a combination of two packages: The Danube River Cruise with AmaWaterways (with savings up to $1,000 per person) AND our special Land Tour and Hotel Packages that includes Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Oberammergau and the Passion Play. We have separated the total package into two separate packages so you could see the fantastic savings we have on your Danube River Cruise.
AmaWaterways Danube River Cruise Package Includes:
- 8 day 7-night sailing on a 5-star luxury river boat from Vilshofen, Germany to Budapest, Hungary.
- Cabin Category D: Two Large Port Hole Window Cabin 160 square feet.
- ENHANCED Premium Shore Excursions designed by Fun For Less Tours are all included.
- Special Guest Educator during your Danube Cruise: Glenn Rawson.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals onboard the ship every day.
- Free internet.
- Free movies.
- Complimentary bottled water, fluffy bathrobes, and slippers in each cabin.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to 170 square foot (category C) French Balcony Cabin for $399 more per person OR upgrade to a 210 square foot (category BB or BA) Double Balcony Mini-Suite Cabin for $799 more per person.
Danube Cruise Package Price Cat D: $3,294
PLUS, Ship Port and Taxes: $168
Total Ship Price: $3,462
The 8 day 7-night Land Package Includes:
- Germany and the Oberammergau Passion Play
- 3 nights 5-Star Luxury Hotel Prague
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Berlin.
- 2 nights 4-Star Oberammergau Passion Play Hotel.
- Priority seating in Category 1 for the Passion Play.
- Transfers between airports and hotels if you arriving and departing around the FFL group flights.
- Breakfasts throughout the tour plus, dinner in Oberammergau.
- All tours, buses, guides, entrance fees in Germany & Czech Republic.
Fun For Less Tours Staff.
Package Price: $6,557 Total of both Packages*
**Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare or tips.
ESTIMATED cost of airfares in 2020:
These are estimates only (they could go up or down) and they
will not be available to purchase until 10 months before tour.
(round-trip) SLC to Prague - Budapest to SLC: $1,650
Cruise Package: $3,462
Land Package: $3,095
Total of both Packages: $6,557*
Your day by day itinerary is a partial list of your tour. The itinerary below is subject to change as needed at any time. We will have local guides who will do their best to make sure we see the most important sites.
Day 1: September 24: Fly to Berlin
Today we will fly from our home to Berlin.
Day 2: September 25: Berlin
After our arrival in Berlin, we will transfer to our hotel.
Day 3: September 26: Berlin
Once a city divided by hatred and mistrust, the city has come alive since the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Our sightseeing tour will take us through what was once known as East and West Berlin. You will see famous landmarks such as; Brandenburg Gate, the monumental buildings at Unter den Linden, Alexander Square, Museum Island, Check Point Charlie, the Reichstag, and the Castle Charlottenburg.
Day 4: September 27: Dresden – Prague
This morning we will drive to Prague. Along the way, we will make a stop at one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, Dresden. We will enjoy a 2-hour walking tour before continuing to Prague, which is our second favorite city in Europe.
Day 5: September 28: Prague
Today we will explore the castle area, take a cruise on the Moldau River, and explore the old town. You will have free time to explore the ancient streets on your own.
Day 6: September 29: Nuremberg
Today we will drive to Nuremberg. Upon arrival, we will do a tour of the WWII highlights and then walk through Nuremberg’s cobblestone streets to the Imperial Castle and its 900-year-old city ramparts.
Day 7: September 30: Oberammergau
This morning we will travel into the German Alps on our way to Oberammergau. You will have some free time to explore Oberammergau before being taken to your hotel.
Day 8: October 1: Oberammergau
This morning we will drive to the Linderhof Palace. Then we will return to your hotel. This afternoon we see the first half of the Passion Play. Then there will be a break for dinner, which is included. After dinner, we will return for the second half of the Passion Play. Late this evening you will return to your hotel.
Day 9: October 2: Oberammergau – Vilshofen
This morning we will drive 3.5 hours to Vilsofen to board our 5-star AmaWaterways Ship. You will have some free time to explore the quaint little village of Vilshofen. Tomorrow morning, we will set sail on the Danube for Budapest.
Important Note: The owners of Fun For Less Tours experienced an AmaWaterways sailing between Vilshofen, Germany and Budapest, Hungary in 2018. They were more than impressed. Having sailed with other river cruise companies they were worried they would have to arrange or change all of the shore excursions. Other companies, give few choices, have additional fees for some of their shore excursions and often include several wineries where they can get extra commissions from the sales. To their surprise, AmaWaterways far exceeded their expectations. In many of the ports of call they had several choices of tours, none of which cost extra. The owners were so pleased with AmaWaterways selection of shore excursions, they found there was very little they would change. The Fun For Less Tours owners have tweaked and made slight improvements to a couple of shore excursions. AmaWaterways already included premium tours at no additional cost. There was very little we needed to change. In many of the ports of call, the ship may offer different shore excursions, often including a bicycle tour. Our owners have selected, what they felt to be the best shore excursion for each port. After you arrive at the ship, if you decide that you would like to make a change to a different tour you can make that change onboard.
Day 10: October 3: Passau
This morning you will have additional free time in Vilshofen. The cruise will sail to Passau during lunch. Passau is a beautiful town in Lower Bavaria. It is known as the city of three rivers because the Danube is joined by the Inn River from the south and the Ilz River from the north. This afternoon you will enjoy a walking tour of Passau along with free time to explore more on your own.
Day 11: October 4: Linz – Salzburg
This morning you drive to the Austrian Alps. The plan is to visit the church where Maria was married in the Sound of Music. Then it is on to Salzburg for an afternoon tour.
Day 12: October 5: Weissenkirchen – Melk
The morning is spent sailing through one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube – the Wachau region. This afternoon we will travel by bus to the charming Durnstein “Pearl of the Wachau”. After our guided walking tour of Durnstein, we will head to Melk Abby, one of the most famous and visited cultural sights in Austria, which is sure to be a big highlight of your Danube Cruise.
Day 13: October 6: Vienna
Vienna is a truly elegant and romantic city. We will do a city tour that will allow you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Vienna. AmaWaterways, did not include the Schonbrunn Palace as part of their normal touring. We plan on adding the Schonbrunn Palace in the afternoon at no additional charge. This is the one time we felt we needed to improve the AmaWaterways shore excursion package. IF AmaWaterways offers Strauss & Mozart Concerts in the evening it is not included in the ships or our package. It is an additional cost. Fun For Less owners went when it was offered to them and they enjoyed it. If they are offering it you are able to sign up for this when you are on the ship.
Day 14: October 7: Bratislava
Enjoy Bratislava, Slovakia through an Old Town Walking Tour. During free time you can take the easy hike up to the castle overlooking the town with great views of the city and river. We did not find the castle worth going into, it is much like any other building, not what you would think the inside of the castle should look like.
Day 15: October 8: Budapest
You won’t want to miss the beauty of sailing the Danube into Budapest. It is worth getting up early. Later this morning you will enjoy a combination of a walking and bus tour of Budapest. This evening, after dark, the ship usually does an illumination cruise of Budapest. Budapest all lit up after dark is one of the biggest highlights of this cruise and should not be missed. We overnight on the ship.
Day 16: October 9: Fly home
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful AmaWaterways ship and travel to the airport for your flight back to the US and home. You will arrive home on the same day.