Group 3: Danube River Cruisewith Oberammergau Passion Play Prague to Budapest 16 day cruise/tour - June 25 - July 10, 2020
Europe’s Most Popular River Cruise Itinerary
The romantic Danube! The most popular section of the river is outside of Munich between Passau and Budapest, Hungary. We have chartered several sailings along this section of the Danube in 2020, so we could combine this wonderful cruise with the Oberammergau Passion Play. Before boarding our cruise ship outside of Munich, we have added an 8-day land tour that vastly improves your Danube River experience. Our tour will start in one of the most impressive cities in the world – PRAGUE! We will spend two days exploring Prague. From there we will continue to Salzburg with its impressive castle fortress overlooking the city. Then to Munich and onto Oberammergau and the Passion Play.
After the Passion Play in Oberammergau we will head to Vilshofen, a village on the Danube, to board our luxury cruise ship. You’re going to love this relaxing cruise that includes fantastic places to see and experience. It is no wonder it is the most popular river cruise in Europe. In addition to enjoying a luxury cruise, luxury cabins and great food; here is a PARTIAL list of what you will see and enjoy on our specially designed and enhanced shore excursions:
- The ancient village of Passau with its 2,000-year-old cobblestone streets.
- The Austrian Lake District – The beautiful Austrian Lake District.
- The stunning Benedictine Abby in Melk.
- Vienna- the home of music, romance and impressive palaces.
- Bratislava, Slovakia with its impressive castle.
- Budapest, with its famous Chain Bridge and majestic castle hill.
We have Fun For Less staff and educators that will be taking care of you throughout this special tour and cruise. In addition to local guides, we will have two tour managers that will meet you in Prague and stay with you until you board your wonderful Danube River Cruise. The Oberammergau Passion Play is a MAJOR part of this package. Dr. S. Michael Wilcox will join you in Munich, for a few days in between your tours, preparing you for your Passion Play experience. After the Passion Play, you will head to your 5-Star Luxury Danube River cruise ship. There you will be joined by Diane Prince who will be your educator throughout your Danube Cruise and will stay with you until you fly home from Budapest.
Huge Savings Combined with Luxury Cruising and a Great Itinerary
We had several goals when we started negotiating with river cruise lines, in Europe, to take our groups:
- #1: Quality of ship: AmaWaterways has won almost everyone’s award as the best cruise line in Europe, even beating out Viking.
- #2: Shore excursions: Shore excursions are included with River Cruising in Europe. The issue is the quality of the shore excursions. They often do short city or walking tours, skipping the sites that have expensive entrance fees and almost daily they end up stopping at a winery for wine tasting. ***THIS IS BIG – AmaWaterways has agreed to allow Fun For Less Tours to design their own shore excursions. The Fun for Less Tours owners are spending a month in Europe in 2018 visiting AmaWaterways’ ports of call on both the Rhine and Danube Rivers to design our own private ENHANCED shore excursions. We are no longer just driving by the castles.
- #3: Lower the pricing: By doing partial or full charters, we were able to save our passengers up to $1,000 PER PERSON! On some sailings, the cruise company offers $250 per person early bird discounts, but NO ONE EVER offers a $600 to $1,000 per person discount! We not only save you money we have improved the shore excursions and added an educator. YES, the cruise line made us an unbelievable deal, AND we are passing the savings on to you!
- Look at OUR special savings over the cruise lines prices for 2020 Cabins.
- Cat D – Two Large Port Hole Windows – 160 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $3,894 MINUS our $600 savings – you pay $3,294.
- Cat C – French Balcony – 170 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $4,494 MINUS our $800 savings – you pay $3,693.
- Average of Cat BB & BA – Double Balcony Mini Suites – 210 square feet:
- 2020 Ship Price: $5,094 MINUS our $1,000 savings – you pay 4,093.
- To get the savings needed to lower the price for our customers and do our own designed, enhanced shore excursions, we committed to guaranteeing partial to full ship charters. When you consider you save up to $1,000 per person on the cruise, that includes our special ENHANCED shore excursions AND you get Diane Prince as your guest educator on the Danube River, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR – fill out your Passion Play Request Form and send it in.
- Cat D – Two Large Port Hole Windows – 160 square feet:
All cabins will be assigned to those who were first to make the request. The largest number of cabins and usually the most popular cabins are the double balcony mini-suites. We are limited to 11 category D inside, 16 category C cabins and 35 of the Double Balcony Mini-Suite cabins. The price difference between cabins is not extreme. If we are unable to fulfill your cabin category request, we will move you into the next upgraded category that is available.
Package Price Includes:
Our package price is a combination of two packages: The Danube River Cruise with AmaWaterways (with savings up to $1,000 per person) AND our special Land Tour and Hotel Packages that includes Prague, Salzburg, Munich, Oberammergau and the Passion Play. We have separated the total package into two separate packages so you could see the fantastic savings we have on your Danube River Cruise.
AmaWaterways Danube River Cruise Package Includes:
- 8 day 7-night sailing on a 5-star luxury river boat from Vilshofen, Germany to Budapest, Hungary.
- Cabin Category D: Two Large Port Hole Window Cabin 160 square feet.
- ENHANCED Premium Shore Excursions designed by Fun For Less Tours are all included.
- Special Guest Educator during your Danube Cruise: Diane Prince.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals onboard the ship every day.
- Free internet.
- Free movies.
- Bottled water, fluffy bathrobes, and slippers free in each cabin.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to 170 square foot (category C) French Balcony Cabin for $399 more per person OR upgrade to a 210 square foot (category BB or BA) Double Balcony Mini Suite Cabin for $799 more per person.
Danube Cruise Package Price Cat D: $3,294
PLUS, Ship Port and Taxes: $168
Total Ship Price: $3,462
The 8 day 7-night Land Package Includes:
- Germany and the Oberammergau Passion Play
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Munich.
- Dr. S. Michael Wilcox Guest educator in Munich for the Passion Play.
- 2 nights 4 Star Oberammergau Passion Play Hotel.
- Priority seating in Category 1 for the Passion Play.
- All transfers and buses in Munich and Oberammergau.
- Transfers to our ship.
- Breakfasts in Munich, Breakfast and Dinner in Oberammergau.
- All tours, entrance fees and guides in Munich and Oberammergau.
- Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Prague.
- 1 night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel in Salzburg.
- Transfers in Prague and Budapest.
- All tours, buses, guides, entrance fees in Prague and Salzburg.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
Package Price: $6,557 Total of both Packages*
**Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare or tips.
ESTIMATED cost of airfares in 2020:
These are estimates only (they could go up or down) and they
will not be available to purchase until 10 months before tour.
(round-trip) SLC to Prague - Budapest to SLC: $1,650
Cruise Package: $3,462
Land Package: $3,095
Total of both Packages: $6,557*
This is a partial list, and subject to change as needed to accomplish everything we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: June 25: Fly to Prague
Today we will fly from our home to Prague.
Day 2: June 26: Prague
After our arrival into Prague, we will drive to the city center where we will do a cruise on the Moldau River. Overnight in Prague.
Day 3: June 27: Prague
Today will be a highlight day as we visit our second favorite city in Europe – Prague. We will explore the castle area and explore the old town. You will also have free time to explore the ancient streets on your own. Overnight Prague.
Day 4: June 28: Prague – Salzburg
This morning we will drive through the beautiful countryside on our way to Salzburg. While in Salzburg you may feel as if you have slipped into “The Sound Of Music.” Upon arrival, we will ride the funicular up to the fortress, Hohensalzburg. Overnight Salzburg.
Day 5: June 29: Salzburg
We will spend the morning touring Salzburg. This afternoon we will drive to Munich, where Dr. S. Michael Wilcox will join the group for their city tour of Munich including Nymphenburg Palace, the birthplace of the King Mad Ludwig. While touring we will have a lecture by Dr. S. Michael Wilcox about the Bavarian Kings. Overnight Munich.
Day 6: June 30: Munich
Today will be a full day of lectures by Dr. S. Michael Wilcox about the life of Christ and the preparation for the Passion Play.
Day 7: July 1: Munich
This morning we will travel into the German Alps. Where we plan, if possible to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, which was the inspiration for Disney’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. Then we will go to Oberammergau where you will be able to have some free time to explore this quaint village. Later this afternoon we will check into our 4-star deluxe Passion Play hotel. NOTE: Our Passion Play Hotels are in the Oberammergau area. They can be in the Oberammergau Village or other villages nearby. For those staying in the villages close by, from what we have been told, they will be running shuttle buses from the different villages to the Oberammergau Village and back.
Day 8: July 2: Oberammergau
This morning you can take one of the shuttle buses into Oberammergau. This afternoon will be the first half of the Passion Play. Then there will be a break for dinner, which is included. After, we will return to the second half of the Passion Play. Late this evening you will return back to your hotel.
Day 9: July 3: Oberammergau – Vilshofen
This morning we will visit Linderhof Palace. Then we will drive 3.5 hours to Vilsofen. This afternoon transfer to the 5-star AmaWaterways Ship. Tomorrow morning, we will set sail on the Danube for Budapest.
Important information: The owners of Fun For Less Tours experienced an AmaWaterways sailing between Vilshofen, Germany and Budapest, Hungary in 2018. They were more than impressed. Having sailed with other river cruise companies they were worried they would have to arrange or change all of the shore excursions. Other companies give few choices, have additional fees for some of their shore excursions and often include several wineries where they can get extra commissions from the sales. To the owners surprise, AmaWaterways far exceeded their expectations. In many of the ports of call they had several choices of tours, none of which cost extra. The owners were so pleased with AmaWaterways selection of shore excursions that they found there was very little they would change. In many of the ports of call, the ship may offer different shore excursions, often including a bicycle tour. Our owners have selected, what they felt to be the best shore excursion for each port. After you arrive at the ship if you decide that you would like to make a change to a different tour you can make that change onboard.
Day 10: July 4: Passau
This morning you will have additional free time in Vilshofen. The cruise will sail to Passau during lunch. Passau is a beautiful town in Lower Bavaria. It is known as the city of three rivers because the Danube is joined by the Inn River from the south and the Ilz River from the north. This afternoon you will enjoy a walking tour of Passau along with free time to explore more on your own.
Day 11: July 5: Linz
Morning “UNESCO City of Media Arts” walking tour of Linz. Then in the afternoon, you will drive to the beautiful stunning Austrian Lake District.
Day 12: July 6: Weissenkirchen – Melk
The morning is spent sailing through one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube – the Wachau region. This afternoon we will travel by bus to the charming Durnstein “Pearl of the Wachau”. After our guided walking tour of Durnstein, we will head to Melk Abby, one of the most famous and visited cultural sights in Austria, which is sure to be a big highlight of your Danube Cruise.
Day 13: July 7: Vienna
Vienna is a truly elegant and romantic city. We will do a city tour that will allow you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Vienna. AmaWaterways did not include the Schonbrunn Palace as part of their normal touring. We plan on adding the Schonbrunn Palace in the afternoon at no additional charge. This is the one time we felt we needed to improve the AmaWaterways shore excursion package. IF AmaWaterways offers Strauss & Mozart Concerts in the evening it is not included in the ships or our package. It is an additional cost. Fun For Less owners went when it was offered to them and they enjoyed it. If they are offering it you are able to sign up for this when you are on the ship.
Day 14: July 8: Bratislava
Enjoy Bratislava, Slovakia through an Old Town Walking Tour. During free time you can take the easy hike up to the castle overlooking the town with great views of the city and river. The castle is not what you think the inside of a castle should look like (it is much like any other building), but it is worth the walk up to see the overlook.
Day 15: July 9: Budapest
You don’t want to miss the beauty of sailing the Danube into Budapest. This morning we will tour Budapest where we visit Buda Hills and St. Mathias Church and the Fishermen’s Bastions. Continuing on to the elegant part of Pest, we stop at the Hero’s square. We overnight on the ship.
Day 16: July 10: Fly home
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful AmaWaterways ship and travel to the airport for your flight back to the US and home. You will arrive home on the same day.