Romantic Danube River CruisePrague to Budapest 16 day cruise/tour - June 25, 2025
Europe’s Most Popular River Cruise – Combined with a Phenomenal Land Tour
The Romantic Danube is the most popular cruise itinerary in all of Europe! Our Romantic Danube combined with our specially designed Land Tour – is the best tour combination of a tour and cruise in all of Europe!!! It includes so many great cities and places to visit.
HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Bonus: We recently had a group that returned from a country, few of you have ever been to or even considered going. It was such a highlight, everyone and we do mean everyone – said we needed to add the country of Slovenia to our Romantic Danube Cruise. When you get off of the Romantic Danube cruise in Budapest we are headed to Ljubljana, Slovenia for 2.5 days of touring that will include, Bled Lake, Bled Castle, The Predjama Castle, and the Postojnska Cave. The Predjama Castle is the world’s largest cave castle that has over 1,000 years of history. The Postojnska Cave, the Queen of all caves, is the most captivating cave in the world. You will marvel at the stunning beauty of this cave and enjoy a one-of-a-kind train ride through an underground cave.
Finish in Venice: On our last day in Slovenia, it is a short drive from the Predjama Castle to Venice. After checking into our Venice hotel we will take a boat into the Marco Square in Venice to enjoy an evening of walking the Venice canals and eating at one of the many sidewalk cafes – before returning to our hotel.
Here is a partial list of the many highlights on our combined Danube cruise and our added land package:
- Prague, Czech Republic: Has over 1,000 years of history. It competes as one of the top cities in Europe to visit. The massive Prague Castle, along with Prague’s many unique bridges over the Vitava River and its Old Town which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site will be a huge highlight.
- Nuremberg: Home of Hitler and the Third Reich, Wonderful Castle, and one of the best preserved ancient Old Towns in Europe.
- Rothenberg ob der Tabor: One of the oldest and best-preserved medieval walled cities in Europe (our favorite). We spend two nights in this romantic ancient walled city. It will be a highlight of highlights.
- Passau, Germany: Famous for its architecture with many buildings featuring Gothic and Baroque architecture.
- Salzburg, Austria: A beautiful picturesque city with its massive Hohensalzburg Fortress high above the rooftops of the historic district. Enjoy the “Sound of Music”, Wolfgang Mozart, along with the UNESCO World Heritage Old Town and you have a city that needs to be at the top of your bucket list.
- Vienna, Austria: It’s artistic and intellectual legacy as shaped by residents including Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud.
- Bratislava, Slovakia: It is a great stop, in another country – Slovakia.
- Budapest, Hungary: Split by the Danube River Buda on one side and Pest on the other, became known as Budapest. Another beautiful city with so much to see and experience. One of the biggest highlights will be viewing the city after dark on the Danube River as the whole city lights up.
- Slovenia: Beautiful Alps and countryside filled with castles and lakes. The Predjama Castle and the Postojnska Caves will be a huge highlight!
- Venice: An evening to enjoy its sidewalk cafes and many canals.
Package Price Includes:
16 Day Romantic Danube River Cruise is a Combination of TWO Packages:
The Romantic Danube River Cruise with AmaWaterways (with savings of $1,000 to $1,700 per person) AND our special Land Tour and Hotel Packages in Prague, walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and Slovenia.
Package #1: AmaWaterways Romantic Danube River Cruise Includes:
- 7 nights sailing on a 5-Star Luxury River Boat from the Vilshofen near Passau on the Danube to Budapest, Hungary.
- Upgraded Cabin Category D: Two Large Port Hole Window Cabin – examples of cabins on pages below.
- All Shore Excursions.
- Special Guest Educator / Entertainer: George Dyer
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals onboard the ship every day.
- Free internet and free movies.
- Taxes and Port Charges.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to French Balcony, Double Balcony or Suite.
Package #2: Our Special Land Package in Prague, Salzburg and Munich:
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel medieval walled city of Rothenberg ob de Tabor.
- 2 nights 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- 1 night 4-Star Deluxe Hotel Venice, Italy.
- Buses and transfers in Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, and Italy.
- Prague Castle. Bled Castle, Predjama Castle.
- Boat Ride in Prague.
- Underground train ride in Slovenia’s Cave
- All Entrance Fees, Tours, Guides, and Sightseeing.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Headset receivers.
Total Package Price $6,995
Charter Savings: ($1,000)
Total Package Price $5,995*
Package Price: $5,995 Total*
**Per person cash discount price, based on double occupancy.
Does not include airfare or tips.
Below are the prices for upgrading to balcony and suite cabins. With our combination of an AmaWaterways river cruise with our Fun For Less Tours Land Package, you are saving $1,000 Per Person off of whatever cabin category you chose. Pictures of the different balcony cabins and an example of the layout of an AmaWaterways river cruise ship can be found below. The prices below are the prices per person to upgrade from a D Cabin to Balcony Cabins.
- Cat D Large Porthole Cabins 170 sq. ft.: Included in Price
- Upgrade to a Cat CA French Balcony with sliding glass door: $1,000
- Upgrade to a Cat BB Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $1,600
- Upgrade to a Cat BA Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $1,800
- Upgrade to a Cat AB Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $2,000
- Upgrade to a Cat AA Double Balcony with French and Outside Balcony: $2,200
- Upgrade to Large Suite with Double Balcony both French & Outside: $3,500
This is a partial list and is subject to change as needed to accomplish as much as we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: June 25: Fly
Today you will fly from the U.S. to Prague, in the Czech Republic.
Day 2: June 26: Prague
Mid-day arrival into Prague – If time permits after clearing customs we will do an overview tour of Prague along with a boat ride on the Moldau (Vltava) River, before heading to our hotel in Prague.
Day 3: June 27: Prague
Today will be a highlight day as we visit our second favorite city in Europe – Prague. We will explore the castle area, do a city tour along with exploring the old town. You will also have free time to explore the ancient streets on your own. Overnight Prague.
Day 4: June 28: Prague – Nuremberg – Rothenburg ob der Tauber
This morning we will drive through the beautiful countryside on our way to Nuremberg. We will spend the afternoon visiting the historical sites of Hitler and the Third Reich. Including the history behind the Nuremberg Palace of Justice, the Documentation Center, Nazi Party Rally Grounds, and the Zeppelinfeld. We will overnight in the medieval walled village of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Day 5: June 29: Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Germany’s best-preserved medieval walled city. It is impressive with its fortified fortress walls and impressive gates, along with most of the buildings inside the walls dating back 700 or more years. We will have a short orientation tour before you are free to spend a full day enjoying, exploring, and eating in quaint sidewalk cafes along with relaxing. The owners of Fun For Less Tours have stayed there many times, never tiring of this unique, wonderful, ancient, medieval walled city.
Day 6: June 30: Rothenburg ob der Tauber – Nuremburg – Ship
This morning we will drive the short distance back to Nuremberg. This morning we will visit the old town of Nuremberg. Explore its wonderful medieval old buildings and streets before heading up the hill to the Castle that overlooks the old city. You will also have some free time to enjoy more of the old town. This afternoon we will drive to our luxury ship on the Danube.
Important information: Amawaterways includes premium shore excursions at no additional cost. In many of the ports of call, the ship may offer different shore excursions, often including a bicycle tour. Our owners have selected what they felt to be the best shore excursion for each port. After you arrive at the ship, if you decide that you would like to make a change to a different tour, you can make that change onboard. Please note that these shore excursions we recommend in the day-to-day itinerary below could be different from what the ship offers in 2025. This is the best of what they are currently offering.
Day 7: July 1: Passau
This morning you will have additional free time in Vilshofen. The cruise will sail to Passau during lunch. Passau is a beautiful town in Lower Bavaria. It is known as the city of three rivers because the Danube is joined by the Inn River from the south and the Ilz River from the north. This afternoon you will enjoy a walking tour of Passau along with free time to explore more on your own.
Day 8: July 2: Linz – Austrian Lake District – Salzburg – Linz
This morning, the ship’s shore excursion takes you to the Austrian Alps and the lake district on our way to Salzburg. Usually, they stop at the church where Maria was married in the Sound of Music. After the day of touring in Salzburg, you return to your ship.
Day 9: July 3: Weissenkirchen – Melk
The morning is spent sailing through one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube – the Wachau region. This afternoon we will travel by bus to the charming Durnstein “Pearl of the Wachau.” After our guided walking tour of Durnstein, we will head to Melk Abby, one of the most famous and visited cultural sights in Austria, which is sure to be a big highlight of your Danube Cruise.
Day 10: July 4: Vienna
Vienna is a truly elegant and romantic city. We will do a city tour that will allow you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Vienna. If AmaWaterways offers Strauss & Mozart Concerts in the evening, it is not included in the ship’s or our package. It is an additional cost. Fun For Less owners went when it was offered to them, and they enjoyed it. If they are offering it you will be able to sign up for this when you are on the ship.
Day 11: July 5: Bratislava
Enjoy Bratislava, Slovakia, through an Old Town walking tour. During your free time you can take the easy hike up to the castle overlooking the town with great views of the city and river. We did not find the castle worth going into; it is much like any other building, not what you would think the inside of the castle should look like.
Day 12: July 6: Budapest
This morning we will tour Budapest, where we visit Buda Hills and St. Mathias Church, and the Fishermen’s Bastions. Continuing onto the elegant part of Pest, we stop at Hero’s square. Later we will return to our ship.
Day 13: July 7: Budapest – Ljubljana
This morning we will head to Ljubljana with some stops along the way. We arrive at our hotel in the late afternoon or early evening.
Day 14: July 8: Ljubljana
Today is a full day of travel to Lake Bled and the Lake Bled Castle with over 1,000 years of history. After our day in the Slovenia Alps, we will return to Ljubljana for our Walking tour of the Old Quarter before returning to our hotel.
Day 15: July 9: Ljubljana – Postojnska Cave – Predjama Castle – Venice.
Today will be a HUGE highlight Day!!! Welcome to the Queen of all caves and the most captivating cave in the world. It is the largest show cave in Europe. In addition to exploring this stunningly beautiful cave on foot, you will experience a one-of-a-kind ride on an underground train. We will then head to another highlight – the extraordinary Predjama Castle listed in the Guinness World Records as the world’s largest cave castle. After we are finished with this fantastic highlight day, instead of driving the over 1-hour drive back to Ljubljana, we will head to Venice Italy, it is only about a 45-minute longer drive than returning to Ljubljana with very few flights back to the U.S. If everything goes as planned – we expect to be to our Venice hotel around 4pm to 4:30pm – after check-in, we will take a bus to Venice where we have arranged a boat ride to Marco Square, the heart of the Islands of Venice. You will have the evening to enjoy walking around the streets of Venice, along with enjoying dinner on one of the many sidewalk cafes. We plan to return back to your Venice hotel around 9pm.
Day 16: July 10: Fly home
Today we return back to our homes.