2019 Danube River CruiseRomania to Budapest 16 day cruise/tour - October 6, 2019
Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria.
Major Cities Visited:
Hungary: Budapest, Pécs and Mohács. Croatia: Vukovar. Serbia: Novi Sad and Belgrade. Bulgaria: Vidin, Ruse and Veliko Tarnovo. Romania: Giurgiu, Sibiu, Hunedoara, Sighișoara, Brașov, Sinaia and Bucharest.
- 7 nights 5-star Luxury Exotic Danube River Cruise through Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania.
- Includes all Shore Excursions.
- Major Tour Highlights: Budapest Castle Hill, Chain Bridge, Pecs, Yugaslav Civil War tour, Petrovaradin Fortress, Baba Vida Fortress, Veliko Tarnova (Bulgaria’s ancient capitol), walled city of Sibiu, ancient Corvin Castle, walled city of Sighisoara, Transylvanian Alps, Bran Castle, Brașov, Peles Castle, Sinaia Castle and Bucharest.
- Special Guest Educator: Dr. Michael Wilcox.
- Tour managers throughout.
We have combined a fantastic Exotic Danube River Cruise with a Romania Tour. There is not room enough to express how fantastic this tour is. Michael specifically asked for this tour. It is always high on his list to return to. What a wonderful way to visit 5 countries: Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria & Romania. You will be sailing in luxury on a AMA Waterways’ ship. It just doesn’t get any better than this. You’re going to absolutely love Romania, it has 3 of the top castles in Europe and what we consider to be the #1 Castle in the world. It also has the mystique of Count Vlad Dracula. Yes there really was a Count Vlad Dracula in the Transylvania mountains of Romania. He was born in a small medieval walled village in 1431 and the village is still there. One of our favorite castles, the Corvin Castle, was once voted the scariest place on earth, Count Dracula was a prisoner in this castle for many years in the 1400’s. It is one of our favorite castles as it’s so original and old. Please listen to us, Romania is our favorite country in Europe, if you ever wanted to do this part of the world, do it in 2019 with Michael.
We had several goals when we started negotiating with river cruise lines in Europe to take our groups:
- #1: Quality of ship: AMA Waterways has won almost everyone’s award as the best cruise line in Europe, even beating out Viking.
- #2: Shore excursions: Shore excursions are included with River Cruising in Europe. The issue is the quality of the shore excursions. They often do short city or walking tours, skipping the sites that have expensive entrance fees and almost daily they end up stopping at a winery for wine tasting. ***THIS IS BIG – AMA Waterways has agreed to allow Fun For Less Tours to design their own shore excursions. The Fun for Less Tours owners are spending a month in Europe in 2018 visiting AMA Waterways’ ports of call on both the Rhine and Danube Rivers to design our own private enhanced shore excursions. We are not going to drive by a castle so we can get to wine tasting.
- #3: Lower the pricing: By doing partial or full charters, we were able to save our passengers up to $1,000 PER PERSON! On some sailings the cruise company offers $250 per person discount, but NO ONE EVER offers a $600 to $1,000 per person discount, especially when you consider the extra costs to do enhanced shore excursions, the costs of bringing our Fun For Less Tours staff and the costs of bringing Dr. S. Michael Wilcox as a guest educator. YES, the cruise line made us an unbelievable deal!!!
- Look at OUR special savings over the cruise lines prices for 2019 Cabins
- Cat D Two Large Port Hole Windows – 160 square feet:
2019 Ship Price: $3,894 MINUS our $600 savings – you pay $3,294.
- Cat C French Balcony – 170 square feet:
2019 Ship Price: $4,494 MINUS our $800 savings – you pay $3,694.
- Average of Cat BB&BA Double Balcony Mini Suites – 210 square feet:
2019 Ship Price: $5,094 MINUS our $1,000 savings – you pay 4,094.
- Cat D Two Large Port Hole Windows – 160 square feet:
- To get the savings needed to lower the price for our customers and do our own designed enhanced shore excursions, we need to commit to doing ½ to full ship charters. The cruise line needs charters to be sold in advance of normal sales. That means we need to sell our portion of the ship now so we can pass the savings on to you!
When you consider you save up to $1,000 per person on the cruise that includes our special shore excursions AND you get the very best of Budapest and all of Romania, AND you get Dr. S. Michael Wilcox as your guest educator – WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR – CALL US NOW!
Package Price Includes:
Our package price is a combination of two packages:
The Exotic Danube River Cruise with AMA Waterways (with savings up to $1,000 per person) AND our special Land Tour and Hotel Packages in Budapest and Romania.
AMA Waterways Exotic Danube River Cruise Package Includes:
- 8 day 7 night sailing on a 5-star luxury river boat from Budapest, Hungary to Bucharest Romania covering 5 countries: Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania with AMA Waterways.
- Cabin Category D: Two Large Port Hole Window Cabin.
- Enhanced Shore Excursions designed by Fun For Less Tours.
- Special Guest Educator: Dr. S. Michael Wilcox.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Three quality meals onboard the ship every day.
- Free internet.
- Free movies.
- Bottled water, fluffy bathrobes, and slippers free in each cabin.
- All bicycles and helmets on board are free to use.
- Option to upgrade cabin to French or Double Balcony.
Danube Cruise Package Price Cat D: $3,294
PLUS, Ship Port and Taxes: $168
Total Ship Price Price: $3,462
Budapest and Romania Land Package:
Note: AMA Waterways charges $1,480 for their 5-night land package added to their cruise. It includes 2 night Budapest, 1 night Brasov and 2 nights Bucharest. Our Special Land Package is for 7 nights: 1 night Budapest (all you really need), 2 nights Sibiu – that will include the walled city of Sibiu and the Corvin Castle, 2 nights Brasov – that will include Bran Castle and the walled city of Sighisoara and 2 nights Bucharest. All for $1,380 – one hundred less than the ship charges for just their lesser 5-night package.
Here is what is included in our special Budapest and Romania Land Tour Package:
- 9 days of buses, tours and entrance fees in Hungary and Romania.
- Deluxe Hotels in Budapest, Hungary along with Bucharest, Brasov, and Sibiu in Romania.
- Transfers to and from airport, hotels and river cruise ship.
- Three Major Castles: Peles Castle, Bran Castle, and Corvin Castle.
- Two Major walled cities Sighisoara (where Dracula was born) & Sibiu.
- All Entrance Fees.
- Fun For Less Tours Staff.
- Guest Educator: Dr. S. Michael Wilcox.
- “Whisper Perfect” headset receivers.
Cruise Package: $3,462
Land Package: $1,380
Package Price: $4,842 - total for both Packages*
*Does not include International air or tips.
This is a partial list, and subject to change as needed to accomplish everything we can in each area we visit. We will have local guides who will make sure we see the very best in the time we have.
Day 1: October 6: Fly to Bucharest
Fly from the US to Bucharest.
Day 2: October 7: Bucharest
We will arrive in Bucharest early afternoon. After clearing customs we will transfer to our hotel.
Day 3: October 8: Sinaia – Brasov
This morning we will drive approximately 80 miles to the mountain resort of Sinaia. Sinaia is often referred to as the “Pearl of the Carpathians”. This beautiful valley contains three castles, one of which we consider one of the most beautiful castles in the world – the Peles Castle. We will then drive 30 miles to Brasov. This city is nestled in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains. This location made it an ideal setting for a medieval city.
Day 4: October 9: Brasov
Today we will tour Bran Castle, often referred to as Dracula’s Castle. Though there is little concrete proof, many historians agree that Vlad Tepes (a.k.a Vlad the Impaler, whom Bram Stoker used as a model for his 1897 story-Dracula) did reside at Bran Castle during his raids in Transylvania.
Day 5: October 10: Sighisoara – Sibiu
Today we will travel to the walled city of Sighisoara. Sighisoara is another of the seven citadels constructed by the German settlers in the 12th Century. Walking along the magical cobbled alleyways in the shadow of one of the nine towers transports you back in time. It is possibly the best-walled city in Eastern Europe. The city is also the birthplace of the infamous Vlad Tepes otherwise known as Count Vlad Dracula. This afternoon we will travel to travel to Sibiu, designated the European capital of culture for 2007. Sibiu was the largest and wealthiest of seven walled cities that were constructed in the 12th century by German settlers. Today Sibiu has been preserved and the streets have not changed in over 500 years. The center of town is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Day 6: October 11: Corvin – Sibiu
This morning we drive to Hunedoara Castle, nestled in the Transylvania Alps. Recently the castle has gained notoriety and was named one of the scariest places in the world. The castle held Count Vlad Dracula in prison for 7 years. After our tour of this fantastic castle, we will return to Sibiu to overnight.
Day 7: October 12: Sibiu – Bucharest
This morning we leave Sibiu and travel to Bucharest. When we arrive to Bucharest we will do a city tour, including the Village Museum, one of the oldest and largest outdoor museums in Europe.
Day 8: October 13: Bucharest – Giurgiu
This morning we will finish our city tour of Bucharest, This afternoon transfer to Giurgiu to board our 5-star AMA Waterways Ship. Tomorrow morning we will set sail on the Danube for Hungary.
Important Note: The owners of Fun For Less Tours experienced an AmaWaterways sailing between Budapest and Romania in 2018. They were more than impressed. Having sailed with other river cruise companies they were worried they would have to arrange or change all of the shore excursions. Other companies, give few choices, have additional fees for some of their shore excursions and often include several wineries where they can get extra commissions from the sales. To their surprise, AmaWaterways far exceeded their expectations. In many of the ports of call they had several choices of tours, none of which cost extra. The owners were so pleased with AmaWaterways selection of shore excursions, they found there was very little they would change. They have, what you would call, tweaked or made slight improvements to a couple of shore excursions. AmaWaterways, already included premium tours at no additional cost. There was very little we needed to change. At many of the ports of call the ship may offer different shore excurions, including a often a bicycle tour. We have listed the shore excursion we found to be the best choice. If after you arrive to the ship, any that would like to change to a different tour or the bicycle tour can make the change once on the ship.
Day 9: October 14: Rousse – Veliko Tarnovo
Today is a full day excursion to Arbanassi (an authentic medieval village) and to Veliko Tarnovo, the former capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. Both have beautiful scenery and architecture.
Day 10: October 15: Vidin
Tour of Vidin and Belogradchik Fortress. Breathtaking landscape and great vies form the top of the fortress.
Day 11: October 16: Cruise Highlight Day
Today will be a major highlight day as we sail through the most spectacular scenery found anywhere along the entire Danube River. This evening they plan to park the ship Vidin, where you can get off and walk around on your own.
Day 12: October 17: Belgrade
This morning we will enjoy a Belgrade city tour to see Kalemegdan fortress, St. Save Cathedral and some free time on the pedestrian street. This afternoon the tour includes the Royal Palace & Tito’s memorial tour. When the owners were there, they met some of the Royal Family.
Day 13: October 18: Vukovar – Novi Sad
Today we will visit villages in two different countries. The small Croatian river town of Vukovar and the pleasant town of Novi Sad in Serbia. we will take a Yugoslav civil war tour. The walking tour will include the famous Eltz Castle Museum and then after boarding buses we will visit Ovcare memorial, dedicated to the victims of the recent war. We will also do a Novi Sad walking tour of the old city.
Day 14: October 19: Mohacs
Pecs Tour: Pecs is the former European Capital of culture. An hour bus ride from the ship. We will take a walking tour to see the town center, the underground early Christian Cemetery, the Mosque and some free time to shop. Most travelers consider Pecs their second favorite city in Romania (Budapest is first).
Day 15: October 20: Budapest
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful AMA Waterways ship and travel to Budapest. Our sightseeing tour of Budapest will include a visit to Buda Hills, St. Mathias Church, and the Fishermen’s Bastions. Continuing on to the elegant part of Pest, we stop at the Hero’s square. Overnight Budapest.
Day 16: October 21: Fly home
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. We will transfer to the airport for your return flight home.